||War with Iraq
The following information was provided by Sean Burns, a UCSC student.
To verify or update this information, please send email to email@example.com.
On Thursday, April 3, a "teach-in" on issues
related to the war in Iraq will be held on campus from noon to 3 p.m.
The event begins with a community gathering in the Upper Quarry
Amphitheatre from noon to 1 p.m.
Speakers at the gathering include faculty members Alan Richards, Paul
Ortiz, and Angela Davis; graduate student NeEddra James; members of
the Standing United For Peace student group; and other members of the
faculty, graduate student body, and undergraduate student body.
Schedule for teach-in sessions:
1-2 p.m., Session 1 of educational break-out groups:
- Panel on "Racism and War," including faculty members Paul
Ortiz and Neferti Tadiar (Student Union)
- Panel on "Women and War," including faculty member Anjali
Arondekar and graduate student Krista Lynes (Graduate Student Union)
- Panel on "Media and the War on Terror," including faculty
members Jon Beller and Lisa Mastramico (Bay Tree Conference)
- Panel on "Religious Perspectives on the Conflict," including
Rev. Herb Schmidtt (Redwood Lounge)
2-3 p.m., Session 2 of break-out groups
- Panel on "New Geo Politics of War," including faculty members
Ronnie Lipshutz and Phil Gasper (Student Union)
- Panel on the U.S. Military and Universities (Graduate Student Union)
- Panel on "Palestine in Iraq: Occupation and Imperialism"
(Bay Tree Conference Room D)
1-3 p.m., Ongoing Sessions
- Free time for sharing views/feelings (Redwood Lounge)
Home | News
& Views | | On-Campus
Resources | Off-Campus
Resources | Coming